By Danielle Gibson
August 16, 2013
To say that Nirvana‘s third and ultimately final studio album In Utero was 1993′s most polarizing record would be the understatement of a decade. From the opening quasi-shamble melodics of ‘Serve The Servants’ through the bitter-sweet closing strains of ‘All Apologies’ In Utero was the sound of the most incredible yet conflicted rock ‘n’ roll band of the era at the peak of its power.
Universal Music Group will commemorate the 20th anniversary of the album’s release with a multi-format re-release that spreads more than 70 remastered, remixed, rare, unreleased and live recordings across a 3-CD/1-DVD Super Deluxe Edition along with a standard digital/CD remaster of the original album. Material exclusive to the various versions of the In Utero 20th Anniversary reissue will include never-before-heard demos, B-sides, compilation tracks including:
- Kurt Cobain‘s handwritten lyrics
- A new 2013 mix of the entire album
- The original never-before-heard Steve Albini mixes of ‘Heart-Shaped Box’ and ‘All Apologies’
- The recently unearthed instrumental ‘Forgotten Tune’
- The original Dave Grohl solo demo of ‘Marigold’ from December of 1990 – the earliest Grohl composition/recording ever released
- A four-page letter from Albini to the band outlining his plans for how the album should be recorded
- Liner notes by Bobcat Goldthwait
- A remixed and newly mastered CD of the entire December 13, 1993 Live And Loud show at Seattle’s Pier 48 featuring the final touring lineup of Cobain, Novoselic, Grohl, and Pat Smear.
- The complete Live And Loud show along with several never-before-released bonus performances, that will also be released separately as a standalone DVD and digital download on Saturday September 24.
The reissued album will be available in a 2CD deluxe edition and, for £83, a 3CD + DVD edition as well as a 3LP vinyl set. Live And Loud will also be available as a standalone DVD. All the different flavours can be pre-ordered from amazon (here).